Applying to be a New RA
The deadline for submitting the RA application is listed below in the important dates section. You must complete the application and submit it to the Residence Life Office by the specified deadline date.
On the RA Application, you will be asked to give information on at least two references. References should be individuals who are familiar with you and can comment on your leadership abilities, work performance, etc. It is appropriate to use past employers, pastors, faculty or staff members, or any adult who knows you well and has had an opportunity to observe you in various roles. Do not list another student, an RA, or an RD. Rebeka Retta (firstname.lastname@example.org) will contact your references and will give them instructions on how to complete and return the reference document back to the ResLife office. Please allow plenty of time when submitting your RA application for those requests to be made by the ResLife office.RA Reference Letter
Basic Requirements for the Position
There are certain basic requirements to be able to apply and be interviewed for an RA position. Be sure you meet those basic requirements before filling out an application:
- Have lived on campus for 2 semesters. The semester you apply can be counted.
- Have a cumulative G.P.A. of 2.3
- Be in good standing with the university. You cannot apply if, at the time of application, you are on academic or disciplinary probation.
- Each semester, you are required to be a part of RA Programs that are offered to your building or the UMHB community. This includes, but is not limited to, meetings each week, being an active participant on a subcommittee, etc.
Please note: As an RA, you may be asked to use good judgment about attending specific events or functions that may compromise your position as an RA. An example would be frequenting certain types of local clubs or bars.
- September 19: RA Interest Meeting in Bawcom 2201 (Conference Room 1) at 4 pm.
- September 24: RA Interest Meeting in Bawcom 2201 (Conference Room 1) at 8 pm.
- October 11: New RA Applications must be submitted by 10 am. Because you will be listing your reference information on the application, please allow plenty of time for our office to request those letter for you prior to the interview times.
- October 15-16: New RA interviews. Female interviews will be held on October 15 and Male interviews will be held on October 16. Once your application is received you will be contacted by the Residence Life Office to sign up for an interview time prior to these dates. Do not sign up for an interview until you are notified. Interviews will be held in Bawcom 2201 (Conference Room 1).
RA Interest Meetings
These meetings are designed to go over the entire RA application process answering any questions you might have regarding the process. The meetings are repeat and are not required to be considered for a position.
After you submit your application by email, you will be contacted by a member of the Resident Life Staff by email to schedule your interview. The interviews will be conducted in Bawcom Student Union Conference Room 2.
The RA interview is a panel interview and the panel consists of the Associate Dean and Director of Residence Life and RD’s. You should dress appropriately for this interview as you would for any interview. For tips on interviewing, you can contact the UMHB Career Services Office in Mabee 212.
After all interviews are held, the RD’s will be given some time to make their decisions. You will be notified of the decisions as soon as they are made. Please note that if an offer is made to you by an RD and your response is no, you will not receive another offer.
The compensation for RA’s will be titled “RA Scholarship” on the financial aid award letter. The position is no longer part of the student work program.
- Apartment RAs: Head RA (HRA) receives $3,250 per semester. Regular RA receives $2,250 per semester.
- Traditional Hall RAs: Head RA (HRA) receives $3,750 per semester. Regular RA receives $2,750 per semester.
Please note that RA's are not allowed to have a work study position as well as the RA position.
RA Applicant Checklist
- Have you submitted your RA application by the deadline?
- Have you emailed the Programming Advertisement piece to email@example.com?
- Have you responded to the email scheduling your interview?
Residence Life Office
Location: Bawcom Student Union, Second Floor
Address: 900 College Street, Box 8006 • Belton, TX 76513
firstname.lastname@example.org • (254) 295-4590
Page last updated August 28, 2018