Applying to be a New RA
The deadline for submitting the RA application is listed below in the important dates section. You must complete the application and submit it to the Residence Life Office by the specified deadline date.
The RA Application now includes the link for two character references. Within the application, you will be directed to create emails to send to your references. Include in your request that they complete a confidential reference on your behalf and paste the link listed on the application in your email. These references should be individuals who are familiar with you and can comment on your leadership abilities, work performance, etc. It is appropriate to use past employers, pastors, faculty or staff members, or any adult who knows you well and has had an opportunity to observe you in various roles. Do not list another student, an RA, or an RD.
In addition, you will also be asked for a character reference from your current RA. Once again you will create the email, paste the appropriate link and send it to your RA.
Please handle your reference requests as quickly as possible to allow enough time for your reference to respond before your RA interview.
Basic Requirements for the Position
There are certain basic requirements to be able to apply and be interviewed for an RA position. Be sure you meet those basic requirements before filling out an application:
- Have lived on campus for 2 semesters. The semester you apply can be counted.
- Have a cumulative G.P.A. of 2.3
- Be in good standing with the university. You cannot apply if, at the time of application, you are on academic or disciplinary probation.
- Each semester, you are required to be a part of RA Programs that are offered to your building or the UMHB community. This includes, but is not limited to, meetings each week, being an active participant on a subcommittee, etc.
Please note: As an RA, you may be asked to use good judgment about attending specific events or functions that may compromise your position as an RA. An example would be frequenting certain types of local clubs or bars.
- February 13: RA Interest Meeting in McLane Great Hall D at 5 pm.
- February 20: RA Interest Meeting in McLane Great Hall D at 8 pm.
- February 25: New RA Applications must be submitted by 10 am.
- March 3: Group Interviews in McLane Great Hall at 8 pm.
- March 5-7: New RA interviews. Once your application is submitted, you will be sent to a link to sign up for your interview date and time.
RA Interest Meetings
These meetings are designed to go over the entire RA application process answering any questions you might have regarding the process. The meetings are repeat and are not required to be considered for a position.
All applicants are required to attend two interviews.
The first interview will be a group interview in which you will work with other new applicants in a group setting to accomplish a task. The Resident Directors will be present to observe how you work in a group setting.
The second RA interview is a panel interview and the panel consist of the Associate Dean and Director of Residence Life and the RDs. You will be directed to a link after your complete your RA application to sign up for this panel interview.
You should dress appropriately for both interviews, as you would for any other interview. However, for the group interview, it is not as formal so jeans are appropriate. For tips on interviewing, you can contact UMHB Career Services in Mabee 212.
After all of the interviews are held, the RD’s will be given some time to make their decisions. You will be notified of the decisions as soon as they are made. Please note that if an offer is made to you by an RD and your response id no, you will not receive another offer.
The compensation for RA’s will be titled “RA Scholarship” on the financial aid award letter. The position is no longer part of the student work program.
- Apartment RAs: Head RA (HRA) receives $3,250 per semester. Regular RA receives $2,250 per semester.
- Traditional Hall RAs: Head RA (HRA) receives $3,750 per semester. Regular RA receives $2,750 per semester.
Please note that RA's are not allowed to have a work study position as well as the RA position.
RA Applicant Checklist
- Have you submitted your RA application by the deadline?
- Have you emailed the Programming Advertisement piece to firstname.lastname@example.org?
- Have you responded to the email scheduling your interview?
Residence Life Office
Location: Bawcom Student Union, Second Floor
Address: 900 College Street, Box 8006 • Belton, TX 76513
email@example.com • (254) 295-4590
Page last updated February 20, 2019