Types of Aid
Financial Aid basically consists of 3 different types of aid: scholarships and grants, work study, and loans.
- Grants and scholarships are often called “gift aid” because they are free money—financial aid that doesn’t have to be repaid.
- Grants/scholarships are awarded based on various factors such as merit (academics), financial need (determined by the FAFSA), or various other reasons.
Outside scholarships are not controlled or awarded by the university, but by the donors themselves. The money is awarded by a third party and then sent to UMHB to be disbursed to the student account. The University does not endorse, sponsor, or have any role in the administration of these private aid programs, and therefore disclaims any responsibility or liability for any information provided. A good place to find information about outside scholarships is Fastweb.
- To be eligible for consideration for the work program, students must have the FAFSA submitted to Mary Hardin-Baylor in October.
- The work program generally allows students to work on campus (a few off campus positions) at the prevailing minimum wage.
- Work awards are calculated on 13 hours per week for each 15-week semester (195 hours total). The maximum work award will be indicated on the student’s award letter.
- Students will locate and apply for positions using a work program website. The website information and instructions will be emailed to students, who have been awarded work study, about 2 weeks before the start of the fall and spring semesters.
- Time sheets are completed online daily and given to the Business Office after approval from the student’s supervisor.
- Checks are issued bi-weekly through the Bursar’s Office and will be used to pay any outstanding balance on the student’s account. If the student does not have an outstanding balance, the check will be issued directly to the student.
- There are 3 types of work programs you may be awarded: Federal Work Study, Texas College Work Study, or Institutional Work Program.
Location: Sanderford Administrative Complex
Address: 900 College Street Box 8080 | Belton, TX 76513
email@example.com • Phone: (254) 295-4517 • Fax: (254) 295-5009
Page last updated June 21, 2018