How to Apply
Financial Aid Information
Students who wish to apply for financial aid must meet certain general eligibility criteria to apply for most need-based financial aid. If you meet the criteria outlined below, please review the steps listed under the Application Process to ensure that you complete all required steps.
Our general eligibility requirements are that you must:
- demonstrate financial need (for most programs);
- be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen;
- have a valid Social Security number (with the exception of students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau);
- be registered with Selective Service, if you're a male (you must register between the ages of 18 and 25);
- be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student in an eligible degree or teacher certificate program;
- be enrolled at least half-time to be eligible for Direct Loan Program funds;
- maintain satisfactory academic progress;
- have resolved any drug convictions;
- sign statements on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) stating that
- you are not in default on a federal student loan and do not owe money on a federal student grant and
- you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes
Students applying for financial aid will need to complete the following steps:
Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- The FAFSA is available October 1st for the following academic year. Funding is limited so it is important to complete the FAFSA as soon as possible.
- The Parent’s Guide to Filling Out the FAFSA® Form
- It takes 5 business days for the Department of Education to process the FAFSA and forward it to UMHB. Complete a Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Financial Aid Awards: The Financial Aid Office will calculate an award package and notify the student via email.
The UMHB Financial Aid Office will follow up with an email asking for other forms and documentation that may be required in order to verify information provided on the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
The Department of Education selects applicants randomly for verification. If you're selected for verification, you'll receive an email indicating that you are missing documents. You will then log into your myFinancialAid account to view the required documents.
Note: A student's financial aid application may be processed on an estimated basis until all required documentation is submitted.
Location: Sanderford Administrative Complex
Address: 900 College Street Box 8080 | Belton, TX 76513
email@example.com • Phone: (254) 295-4517 • Fax: (866) 397-3492
Page last updated May 13, 2021