2018-2019 Tax Information
The Department of Education has selected your FAFSA for a process called verification. This is a process of checking to make sure the data provided on the FAFSA is accurate. We are required to verify that the tax information provided on the FAFSA matches the information provided to the IRS. Please select the appropriate option below:
I have filed my 2016 Tax Return
The best way to verify income is by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) that is part ofFAFSA on the Web at FAFSA.gov.
In most cases, no further documentation is needed to verify 2016 income information that was transferred into the student’s FAFSA using the IRS DRT if that information was not changed by the FAFSA filer.
If you are unable to use the IRS DRT on the FAFSA, you can request a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS.
- A 2016 IRS Tax Return Transcript may be obtained through:
- Get Transcript by MAIL – Visit the IRS website, under the Tools heading, click "Get a tax transcript.” Click “Get Transcript by MAIL.” Make sure to request the “IRS Tax Return Transcript” and NOT the “IRS Tax Account Transcript.” The transcript is generally received within 10 business days from the IRS’s receipt of the online request.
- Get Transcript ONLINE – Visit the IRS website, under the Tools heading, click "Get a tax transcript." Click “Get Transcript ONLINE.” Make sure to request the “IRS Tax Return Transcript” and NOT the “IRS Tax Account Transcript.” To use the Get Transcript Online tool, the user must have (1) access to a valid email address, (2) a text-enabled mobile phone (pay-as-you-go plans cannot be used) in the user’s name, and (3) specific financial account numbers (such as a credit card number or an account number for a home mortgage or auto loan). The transcript displays online upon successful completion of the IRS’s two-step authentication.
- Automated Telephone Request – 1-800-908-9946. Transcript is generally received within 10 business days from the IRS’s receipt of the telephone request.
- Paper Request Form – IRS Form 4506T-EZ or IRS Form 4506-T. The transcript is generally received within 10 business days from the IRS’s receipt of the paper request form.
I filed an extension
Individuals Granted a Filing Extension by the IRS
An individual who is required to file a 2016 IRS income tax return and has been granted a filing extension by the IRS, must provide all of the following:
- A copy of IRS Form 4868, ‘‘Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return,’’ that was filed with the IRS for tax year 2016;
- A copy of the IRS's approval of an extension beyond the automatic six-month extension if the individual requested an additional extension of the filing time for tax year 2016;
- A copy of IRS Form W–2 for each source of employment income received for tax year 2016 and,
- If self-employed, a signed statement certifying the amount of the individual’s Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) and the U.S. income tax paid for tax year 2016.
I filed an amended return.
An individual who filed an amended IRS income tax return for tax year 2016 must provide:
- A 2016 IRS Tax Return Transcript (that will only include information from the original tax return and does not have to be signed), or any other IRS tax transcript(s) that includes all of the income and tax information required to be verified; and
- A signed copy of the 2016 IRS Form 1040X, “Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return,” that was filed with the IRS.
Find information on requesting an IRS Tax Return Transcript below.
Individuals Who Were Victims of IRS Tax-Related Identity Theft
An individual who was the victim of IRS tax-related identity theft must provide:
- A Tax Return DataBase View (TRDBV) transcript obtained from the IRS, or any other IRS tax transcript(s) that includes all of the income and tax information required to be verified;
- A statement signed and dated by the tax filer indicating that he or she was a victim of IRS tax-related identity theft and that the IRS is aware of the tax-related identity theft.
Tax Return Transcript Request
Below are 3 ways to request a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS.
Location: Sanderford Administrative Complex
Address: 900 College Street Box 8080 | Belton, TX 76513
email@example.com • Phone: (254) 295-4517 • Fax: (254) 295-5009
Page last updated March 08, 2018