Frequently Asked Parking Questions
Displaying a UMHB Parking Decal
- University of Mary Hardin-Baylor Police Department is responsible for issuing parking decals.
- University of Mary Hardin Baylor Police Department
905 Moore Suite 107, Mabee Student Success Center
Belton, TX, 76513
- University of Mary Hardin Baylor Police Department
- The University Police Department will issue the following parking decals:
Type of Decal
Issued to all full and part-time employees of the university. This does not include contractors, grad-assistants, teaching assistants and/or interns.
Issued to all students who live more than three blocks from the campus.
Issued to employees of companies who provide contract services to the university.
Issued to all students living on campus, in university housing or within three blocks of the campus.
The university issues a temporary parking decal when a registered driver operates a vehicle other than their registered vehicle. Temporary decals are free of charge to holders of regular parking decals and are valid for up to 14 days.
A visitor is a person who has no affiliation with the university.
- There is no charge for a student’s first decal. The university’s current fee structure identifies the cost of replacement decals and/or additional decals. The Police Department bills the cost of replacement and/or additional decals to student accounts. Information regarding the university’s current fee structure is available online.
- There is no charge for employee, contractor, temporary and visitor parking decals.
- Students are responsible for replacing lost or stolen parking decals.
- When registering a vehicle you will need a valid UMHB identification card. In addition, you will need to know your vehicles year, color, make, model, and license plate number.
- Student parking decals expire on June 1 of each year.
- Adhere the UMHB parking decal to the lower left-hand corner of the vehicle’s rear windshield. Affix the decal to the exterior side of the windshield by removing the decal from its backing and placing it in the proper location.
- For vehicles with a removable top, affix the UMHB parking decal to the upper left-hand corner of the vehicle’s front windshield. Affix the decal to the exterior side of the windshield by removing the decal from its backing and placing it in the proper location.
- Department personnel will provide information pertaining to the placement of parking decals for other types of vehicles at the time of issuance.
- The improper placement of the parking decal constitutes a parking violation.
- Decals are non-transferable.
Parking on City Streets
- Do not park on streets with signs indicating parking is limited to resident only.
- Do not park on the wrong side of the street. Generally, the passenger door should face the curb.
- Do not park in a fire lane.
- Do not park in a no parking zone.
- Do not block a private driveway.
- Do not park within 15 feet of a fire hydrant.
- Do not park on or block a sidewalk.
- Do not park within 20 feet of a crosswalk-intersection.
- Do not park within 30 feet of a stop sign.
- Do not park more than 18” from the right hand curb.
- Do not park in a fire zone.
- Do not park in traffic and/or a bike lane.
Paying a UMHB Citation
- Violators pay UMHB fines at the Bursar's Office located in the Sanderford Administrative Complex. Find additional information.
- Citations are automatically billed to student and employee accounts seven days after the citation is written.
- Violators have seven days in which to appeal a citation.
- Violators must pay all fines prior to registering for classes, receiving clearance for graduation or having a transcript sent to another institution.
- Violators may pay City of Belton parking fines at the Municipal Courts Building located at 100 S. Davis Street in Belton, TX. Find additional information.
- Violator issued a Justice of the Peace citation may pay the citation at the Bell County Justice of the Peace, Precinct 1 office located in the Bell County Justice Center located at 1201 Huey Dr, Belton, TX, 76513. Find additional information.
Parking decals are the property of the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor. As such, the university may revoke parking privileges at any time.
The university reserves the right to remove and impound vehicles:
- abandoned on campus
- found on campus without a decal
- with unpaid parking tickets
- displaying an unauthorized or altered decal
- with no license plates
- parked in a tow-away zone
- parked in such a way as to constitute a serious hazard to vehicles or pedestrian traffic
- impeding the movement and operation of emergency equipment
The owner/operator of the vehicle will be responsible for all cost involved in removing, impounding, and storing such vehicles. The university will assume no responsibility for costs involved in removing, impounding, and storing of such vehicles. The university will assume no responsibility for damages occurring to those vehicles moved by the university.
When a student accumulates five (5) violations during the course of an academic calendar year, on-campus-parking privileges of the individual may be suspended. Should a suspended vehicle be parked on campus, it is subject to towing. In addition, a violation of suspension fine will be assessed in addition to any other fines incurred.
The violator may appeal his/her suspension to the Chief of Police.
Reasons for Vehicle Towing
Towing of a vehicle may occur without notice when a vehicle is:
- blocking a fire lane or hydrant
- in violation of posted signs
- is parked next to a no parking sign/symbol or next to a “red” curb
- is blocking one or more other vehicles
- is blocking a roadway, drive, entry/exit gate, or loading dock
- is parked in a reserved space
- is parked in a disabled space without appropriate license plate/placard being displayed
- is parked in a lot or space that is designated as decal specific (i.e. commuter lots) and the vehicle does not have a valid decal displayed
- is creating a real or potential safety hazard
- using a revoked, altered or stolen decal
- is parked in a lot or other designated area that has been reserved for a special event
- with outstanding or delinquent parking citations
- Traffic and parking regulations are in effect 24 hours a day, seven days a week. A valid parking decal does not guarantee a parking space, nor does the absence of a parking space justify the violation of any regulation.
- Each member of the University Police Department may issue citations for violations, direct traffic as necessary, and place special regulatory signs and barriers in required locations for emergencies or special events.
- University Police officers may issue Justice of the Peace citations for violations of state and local motor vehicle laws occurring off campus.
- The speed limit on all University streets and or parking lots is 15 mph.
- Pedestrians have the right-of-way at all marked crosswalks. Motor vehicle operators must yield the right-of-way to pedestrian traffic in marked crosswalks.
- The University enforces all city and state statutes.
All vehicles, except motorcycles, must park head-in. Do not pull through or back into a parking space. The rear of all vehicles must face the isle of the parking lot.
When a driver registers a vehicle on campus, the driver is required to provide information pertaining to the vehicle. If the driver does not have this information, they are still issued a parking decal and asked to provide the missing information within ten (10) days.
A fire lane is any public right-of-way, easement or private property designated for fire trucks and other firefighting or emergency equipment to use, travel upon and/or park. Signs, red curbs, red hash marks and/or stenciling on curbs, generally identify fire lanes. It is also a violation to park within fifteen (15) feet of a fire hydrant.
Parking regulations specify the correct placement of parking decals. For additional information, see Displaying a Parking Decal above.
Signs or yellow hash marks on the pavement identify loading zones. It is a violation for an unattended vehicle to park in a loading zone. Vehicles loading and unloading should have their hazard flashers on.
All vehicles driven on UMHB property are subject to all university traffic regulations, State of Texas Motor Vehicle Codes and City of Belton Motor Vehicle Ordinances.
Signs, red curbs and/or stenciling on curbing identify no parking zones. It is a violation for a vehicle to stop, stand and/or park in a no parking zone.
Failure to park properly within the lines of a parking space. All vehicles must park in an authorized parking space. Solid lines on either side of a vehicle identify authorized parking spaces.
All vehicles must park on improved surfaces. Parking on the grass or unimproved surfaces is a violation.
This includes all violations of state and local motor vehicle and parking laws not listed on the citation. Officers will note the exact violation in the comments section of the citation.
Parking in timed parking spaces is limited to 15 minutes.
Vehicles parked in a disabled parking space must display a valid UMHB parking decal and a valid state issued disabled parking placard and/or license plate. In addition, the disabled individual must be driving the vehicle or be a passenger in the vehicle.
It is a violation to park on a sidewalk or block access to a sidewalk.
All signed parking spaces, regardless of the area in which they are located, are reserved 24 hours a day, seven (7) days a week for service vehicles, residence hall directors, etc.
Visitor spaces are marked by sign and are reserved 24 hours a day. For additional information, see visitors.
White lines on the pavement identify employee parking spaces. Students are not allowed to park within these spaces between 7:30 am to 2 pm.
A vehicle receiving five (5) or more citations will have a suspension fee added. For additional information, see towing.
Emergency: 911 • Campus Police: (254) 295-5555
Location: Mabee Student Success Center, First Floor
Address: 900 College Street Box 8350 | Belton, TX 76513
Office Hours: M-F • 8am-5pm
firstname.lastname@example.org • (254) 295-4587
Page last updated July 27, 2018