Step 1: Applicants will complete all admission requirements including application to the Central Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA).
Step 2: Interview Process (for applicants invited to interview)
- Interviews will be conducted in June, July, August and September 2020. Rolling admissions will occur with notification of acceptance as early as June 2020.
The UMHB MSPA program Admission Committee’s decisions are based on a holistic review of the candidate’s application. Areas of consideration for interview invitations include the following:
- Intellectual Ability: overall GPA, science GPA, prerequisite GPA, last 60 hours GPA, course success/completion with increased points for higher GPAs and minimal drops, failures, or withdraws
- Leadership, Experience, and Service: extent of paid and non-paid healthcare experience (increased points based on number of hours), leadership roles (increased points based on number of leadership roles), extent of community service (increased points based on number of hours)
- Holistic Factors: letters of recommendation with increased points for higher letter of reference ratings and personal statement with increased points for demonstrating fit with UMHB university mission (leadership and service)
- The interview will consist of a general program information session, tour of campus, and multiple mini interviews. The multiple mini interviews are designed to assess non-cognitive qualities that cannot be measured by an application alone. Non-cognitive qualities that may be assessed include:
- Management Skills
- Ethical and Moral Judgement
- Communication Skills
Step 3: Offers of Admission
Conditional Offers of Admission
Decisions to extend conditional offers of admission are made by the Admissions Committee of the MSPA program.
Conditional offers of admission are communicated in writing via letter or email from the program director and must also be accepted in writing (letter or email) by the applicant. Once the following conditions are met, the applicant is considered a matriculating student.
Step 4: Completion of Enrollment Requirements
Conditional offers of admission by the MSPA program are contingent upon the following:
- Completion of all minimum admission requirements
- Completion of all outstanding prerequisite coursework by August 31st in the year prior to matriculation
- Maintenance of a GPA at or above the minimum GPA requirement at the end of each semester prior to matriculation
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification following American Heart Association or American Red Cross course guidelines. Online courses without practical experience are not accepted. BLS certification must be valid during the entire first curriculum year (e.g. if a student is admitted to the January 2021 class, BLS certification must be active through December 2021).
- Successful background check
- Completion of pre-matriculation immunization requirements listed below under program policies
- Tuberculosis (TB) Screen
- Completion of other requirements communicated in writing by the MSPA program
Page last updated January 06, 2020