CARES Act Reporting
Cru Cares Emergency Financial Aid Grants
As of May 31, 2020, and June 30, 2020 Quarterly Reporting
As of June 30, 2020 (first quarterly reporting), all Section 18004(a)(1) Student Portion Funds have been spent. This is our final quarterly report.
- Acknowledgement: University of Mary Hardin-Baylor (UMHB) acknowledges applying for CARES Act funding and signing and returning the Certification and Agreement to the Department of Education on April 16, 2020. As part of this certification, UMHB assures that it will use at least 50% of the funds received under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
- Allocation: UMHB has been allocated $1,774,347 for Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students. UMHB received the CARES Act funds on May 28, 2020.
- Total Amount Disbursed to Students: As of May 31, 2020, $1,774,347 has been disbursed to eligible students.
- Estimated Total Number of Eligible Students: UMHB has identified approximately 2,875 students eligible to participate in federal aid programs under Section 484 in Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 and thus eligible to receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act.
- Total Number of Students Awarded: As of May 31, 2020, 1,236 students have received Emergency Financial Aid Grants under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act.
- Method of Awarding: To apply, all eligible UMHB students had the opportunity to complete and submit the online Cru CARES Emergency Grant Certification to certify that they had expenses related to the COVID-19 crisis. Qualifying expenses may include food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, or child-care expenses. The certification process began on May 7 with the deadline of May 22, 2020. Following the deadline, UMHB evaluated the qualifying applicants and awards were made as follows:
- Pell eligible undergraduate students: $1,895
- Non-Pell eligible undergraduate students: $1,002
- Graduate students: $1,003
- Doctoral students: $1,002
All award disbursements were initiated by UMHB on May 28, 2020.
- Guidance to Students: UMHB students were made aware of the opportunity to apply through email and the UMHB website. The following communications were sent to students.
Communication to qualifying students to apply for Emergency Financial Aid Grants
At UMHB we realize that many of our students are experiencing economic burdens caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. UMHB received federal emergency funding from the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund authorized through the CARES Act. This CARES allocation is designed to help UMHB students offset expenses related to the COVID-19 crisis. Qualifying expenses may include food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, or child-care expenses. In addition, students must also meet the following criteria: be eligible for Title IV aid (determined through FAFSA completion), be enrolled as of March 13, and not have been enrolled exclusively in online courses for the Spring semester on or prior to March 12.
To be considered for Cru CARES Emergency Grant funding, you must have qualifying expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to the coronavirus AND complete a certification process. If you have qualifying expenses, complete the online Cru CARES Emergency Grant Certification by Friday, May 22. By completing the certification, you are confirming that you experienced qualifying expenses. After the certification period, UMHB will evaluate the volume of applicants to determine the amount of funding, if any, you are eligible to receive. All students will be notified by June 5 of grant award status.
I pray you and your family remain safe during this time.
Communication to qualifying students receiving Emergency Financial Aid Grants
You recently completed our Cru CARES Emergency Grant Certification attesting that you had qualifying expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to the coronavirus. UMHB has evaluated the applications, and you have been awarded a Cru CARES Emergency Grant in the amount of ($ amount).
The UMHB Bursar’s Office will initiate disbursement of the Cru CARES Emergency Grant funds on Thursday, May 28. You will receive communication directly from the Bursar’s Office regarding how you will receive your grant funds.
I hope that you find this grant helpful with your qualifying expenses.
Download UMHB HEERF Quarterly Reporting for Period Ending 12/31/2020
Updated based on additional allocation received November 2020
Page last updated January 07, 2021