The Crusader cheer program promotes school spirit in support of the University's athletic teams, student body, faculty, staff, and alumni. CRU Cheer strives to serve as elite representatives of the UMHB student body as well as ambassadors of the University throughout the community.
The cheer program combines two separate elements into it's spirit squads. One team consists of athletes who can be seen on the sidelines of CRU football and basketball games as well as several events throughout the community. The other represents the University at the competitive level competing at Collegiate cheerleading events throughout the year.
- Lauren Berry
- Caroline Cademartori
- Kaitlyn Carter
- Kylan Chaney
- Danielle Copado
- Sydney Enos
- Alexis Everett
- Autumn Flowers
- Laney Grant
- Kendall Hamilton
- Rikka Hawthorne
- Treasure Hines
- Ansley Howard
- Kirsten Jeitz
- Taylinn Kramer
- Brooke Leach
- Taelyn McCurdy
- Molly Rader
- Addison Ray
- Elizabeth Russell
- Payten Taylor
- Kennedy Wester
- Olivia Whitfill
- Karli Whittaker
- Auja Williams
Cru Cheerleading Tryout Information
Tryouts: April 26, 7-9 pm and April 27, 9 am - 12 pm at the Mayborn Campus Rec Gym
Tryout Packets Due: April 19, 2019
The CRU Cheerleading Program will host tryouts 2019-20 tryout session April 26-27, 2019, to assess the abilities, leadership skills, and potential of interested and qualified candidates.
Tryouts are intended to be a low-stress event. For that reason, they are conducted in a practice-like environment. Candidate’s skills, talents, and their ability to work with current and prospective team members will be evaluated. A short interview with the candidate may be conducted at any time during the sessions.
Actual attendance by candidates at the tryout session is highly recommended; however, any individual who cannot attend the tryout session may submit a videotape for consideration. All videos must be included in the tryout packet. Please contact Coach directly for video requirements.
- Incoming freshmen and transfer students must have completed the regular admissions application process and be accepted to the University prior to tryouts.
- Candidates must be in good academic and disciplinary standing with the university.
- Candidates must possess sufficient physical fitness and proper training to execute all required skills during the selection process.
- Candidates must be covered by health insurance for tryouts and/or sign a participation waiver.
- Prospective candidates should be involved in high school or competitive cheerleading/gymnastics in some fashion. Each candidates’ individual experiences will be taken into consideration.
- The tryout packet must be completed in its entirety and submitted by the stated due date prior to tryouts.
- Standing Tumbling: back handspring or back tuck (highly preferred)
- Running Tumbling – minimum of round-off back handspring series to back tuck (highly preferred)
Stunts: All-Girl & CoEd (Flyers & Bases)
- Gameday stunts (straight up and full-up, extensions and liberties)
- Optional elite stunts/sequences (2-2-1, stretches, arabesques, etc.)
- Solid basics, athlete potential, and experience with a variety of groups
Jumps & Overall Technique:
- Toe-Touch, Hurdler, and Pike required
- Strong Motion Placement and Control required
- Strong Voice inflection required
- Collegiate strength and image required
Overall Impression of the CRU:
- C- Commitment & Teamwork,
- R- Respect & Positive leadership skills,
- U- an Understanding that God is leading you on this journey.
Candidates will also be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Strong leadership qualities
- Charismatic presence/personality
- Ability to engage an audience
Skills Session • Cheer/Chant Session • Fight Song Session • Interview Session
Prior to tryouts, send in at least 2 letters of recommendation.
Please ask your reference (preferably a former coach) to demonstrate your willingness and ability to hold true to the above criteria. For more information on the mission and values of the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, refer to www.umhb.edu
Email Letters to firstname.lastname@example.org with Candidate Name in the subject line. These letters should come directly from the reference.
For questions regarding tryouts, email head coach at email@example.com.
Notification of Selection: The new squad will be announced on the CRU Cheerleading Website (this page).
Candidates will receive more information regarding the posting at tryouts.
- All members of the 2019-2020 Cheer Squad will be required to attend a program meeting and preliminary practices scheduled in the summer
- All members of the squad will be required to attend UCA Summer Camp and attend work week during summer 2019.
- All current members of the squad must tryout each year.
- Coaching staff reserves the right to conduct “walk on” tryouts at any point in time.
Two Tryout Clinics will be held before Tryouts. The clinics will be an open practice format to give you an opportunity to show skills and to work with our current team.
Please note that the clinic on February 23 has been moved to February 16.
- Saturday, February 16 • 3-5 pm
- Saturday, March 23 • 3-5 pm
The clinics will be held at the Mayborn Campus Center Rec Gym. To reserve a spot at one of the clinics, send Coach Winkler an email.
- June 14-15 – Practice Weekend
- July 9-14 – Camp
- August 11 – Move In
Page last updated June 18, 2019