About the Scott & White School of Nursing
The Scott & White School of Nursing at the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor traces its roots to the school of nursing established in 1903 at Scott & White Memorial Hospital in Temple, Texas. Dr. LaVerne Gallman, who taught for 25 years in the registered nurse diploma program at Scott & White Hospital, became the first director of the Mary Hardin-Baylor program when the program was transferred to the university and expanded into a baccalaureate degree program in 1970.
In 1971 the nursing program was approved by the Texas State Board of Nurse Examiners. The first group to graduate was the class of 1972 (Spring 1972), which included 28 individuals. Of the 59 students who graduated in the first two years, 58 were licensed by the state (98 percent). The National League for Nursing granted full accreditation to the program in 1974, which together with the state approval represented the highest levels which could be achieved for a school of nursing. In the years since, the college has also earned accreditation from the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education and has consistently completed reaccreditation reviews.
From a full-time equivalent faculty of 3 in 1970, the program has grown to its present roster of 22 full-time faculty and 50 clinical adjunct faculty. All faculty members in the Scott & White School of Nursing hold the master’s degree, and 13 also hold a doctorate. Enrollment has grown from the modest first class of 28 baccalaureate students in the fall of 1970 to more than 800 nursing majors in the fall of 2018. Today, the nursing major has more current students than any other major offered at the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor.
Scott & White School of Nursing
Address: 900 College Street, Box 8015 • Belton, TX 76513
firstname.lastname@example.org • (254) 295-4662
Page last updated December 12, 2018