How to get a Social Security Number (SSN)
You must have a real job offer in order to get a Social Security Number. Please be sure that you are eligible for a job. If you are approved for work, you will need the following documents.
- Your I-20 that shows work authorization
- A letter from the International Student Services office verifying your eligibility for a Social Security number.
- A letter from your future employer (supervisor). The letter must be on official company letterhead and include this information
- Company name, address and telephone number
- The name of your immediate supervisor who will be verifying your hours
- Contact information (telephone or email of your supervisor)
- How many hours per week you will work
- A description of your job duties
- An application for a Social Security number
You do NOT need a social security number to get a cell phone contract, rent an apartment, get electric service at an apartment, etc. However, because you are not a United States citizen, you will probably have to pay a deposit for any of these services. Normally, the deposit is refunded to you when you cancel the contract and return to your home country.
Location: Mabee Student Success Center • Second Floor • Suite 227
Address: 900 College Street, Box 8367 • Belton, TX 76513
Office Hours: M-F • 8 am - 5 pm (Summer: 8 am - 4 pm)
firstname.lastname@example.org • Phone: (254) 295-4949
Page last updated September 27, 2018