Borrow from Others
TexShare & Interlibrary Loan
UMHB students, faculty, and staff may request a free TexShare Card from the UMHB Library. A TexShare Card provides you with borrowing privileges from more than 500 participating libraries across Texas.
Interlibrary Loan Services (ILL)
Need a book or a journal article not in the library's collection? Our Interlibrary Loan department may be able to borrow the book or request the article from another library.
- Students are strongly encouraged to consult with one of our Reference Librarians prior to requesting an item through ILL.
- Reference Librarians can save you time and money by helping you find the resources you need both online and in the library.
- Contact Shiloh Fulton, ILL Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (254) 295-5004, with questions about ILL.
*While our ILL department successfully fills the majority of ILL requests, we cannot guarantee that every ILL order will be filled.
Are there limits and fees for Interlibrary Loan services?
- You are limited to 5 ILL requests per week.
- You will be charged 50 cents per ordered ILL item.
- Work with a librarian prior to ordering ILLs and avoid the 50 cent fee.
- Fees are charged upon RECEIPT of ordered items.
- There is no charge for ILL orders the library cannot fill.
- You are limited to 10 ILL requests per week.
- You will not be charged to order ILL items.
Faculty and staff:
- There are no limits on items ordered.
- There is no charge to order ILL items.
Overdue fees apply for ILL items; fees are 50 cents per day.
How long does it usually take to get items through ILL?
- Plan on 7 - 14 day turnaround time.
- You will be notified when the library receives your requested materials.
- Please provide a working e-mail address as an article may be e-mailed to you as a PDF.
- Books and hard copy articles will be held at the Circulation Desk and must be picked up within 3 weeks of notification.
- Items not picked up will be removed or returned to the lender and appropriate fees added to your library account.
Other ILL fees may apply
- If a lending library indicates a fee (usually $10-$15), these charges will be the patron's responsibility.
- Please indicate on the order form the maximum amount you are willing to pay for the item. If you choose $0, we will only request the item from free lenders.
- In some cases this may reduce your chances of getting an item (for example, most medical/nursing libraries charge ILL fees).
- In the majority of cases, items can be obtained at no additional cost outside the 50 cent fee charged to undergraduates.