These plans are based on federal, state, and local regulations and guidance available at this time, as well as public health recommendations. As the situation with COVID-19 is fluid, they are subject to change.
Campus Housing Protocols
On campus residence halls, apartments, and campus houses will be open and operational for Spring 2021. Residence halls and apartments will open with specific protocols in place. This section will help provide information you need to live in on-campus housing.
Move-In for New Students
- New student move-in will occur on January 7, 2021 from 10am -2pm. New students will receive an email from their respective Resident Director to register for a move-in time.
- Upon arrival students will drive to their location at their designated time and check-in with a Residence Life staff member.
Stop, Drop, and Go
Family and friends helping with move-in (no more than two, please) are encouraged to “Stop, Drop, and Go”:
- Stop -- Before arriving on campus, if your student needs some extra items for his/her residence, please stop at one of the local stores. This will assist in reducing population density and multiple trips on and off campus. If you need to make a second trip onto campus, please be as brief as possible.
- Drop -- Deliver your student's luggage/belongings to their residence and help them settle in. Guests must properly wear a face covering at all times on campus, and limit their time to no more than three hours.
- Go -- It's time for a hug and well wishes as you depart. Your student will have lots of available support and a fun and busy schedule for orientation. You are encouraged to stay in frequent touch with your student!
Move-in for Returning Students
- Housing will open for returning students on Saturday, January 9, 2020. 2021
- Returning students will receive move-in instructions from their Resident Director.
- Returning students changing housing assignments from Fall to Spring Semester will receive instructions about how to register for a move-in date and time from their Resident Director.
- If up to two family and friends assist you, please follow the same “Stop, Drop and Go” protocols shown above.
Common Spaces in Housing
- Students will not be required to wear a face covering while in their personal room, suite, or apartment, but face coverings are required when students walk down hallways, in common areas, elevators, inside stairwells, or any other spaces.
- Students will be asked to limit group gatherings and maintain at least 6 feet of social distance at all times.
- College activities will be organized with social distancing practices and the need to limit the density of group gatherings in mind.
- Although residence hall lounge areas will be open for use, each will have a maximum number of individuals who may be present at one time. This maximum capacity number will be posted in each room. Students must maintain at least 6 feet of social distancing and wear face coverings at all times in residence hall lounge areas.
Visitors and Guests on Campus
- Visitors or guests that are not UMHB students will not be permitted in any campus housing facilities at this time.
- Only students assigned to their residence hall room or apartment bedroom will be allowed in those spaces.
- Visitors and guests that are UMHB students are permitted to visit residence hall and apartment common spaces in accordance with the Guide to Campus Housing visitation policies and posted social distancing requirements.
- Student should maintain at least 6 feet of social distancing at all times, follow all posted guidelines, and wear their face covering except for when showering, brushing their teeth, washing their face, applying make-up, or shaving.
- Students should not place toothbrushes on counters. Instead, carry them in a travel toothbrush case. Using bathroom totes can help limit contact of personal items with counter surfaces.
- Students are expected to leave community bathrooms neat.
- Bathrooms will be regularly cleaned by the university’s custodial staff.
- Keep kitchens neat and clean.
- Students should not share dishes, drinking glasses, cups, or eating utensils. Non-disposable food service items should be washed with dish soap and hot water or in a dishwasher. Wash hands after handling food service items.
- Use gloves when removing garbage bags and handling and disposing of trash.
- Laundry room capacities will be posted in each living facility to maintain social distancing.
- Face coverings must be worn when using the laundry facilities.
- Guidelines will be posted for washing instructions and handling of dirty laundry.
- When using a community laundry room, UMHB students should be mindful of the time it takes to complete a load of laundry. Students should not leave their laundry unattended.
Move-Out at End of Spring Semester
- Housing will close on Friday, May 7, 2021 at 12:00 p.m.
- Specific move out procedures will be provided to students by their Resident Director.
- To promote social distancing, only two guests will be permitted to assist with move-out.
Unanticipated Move-Out due to Isolation Protocols
Although the university has taken many steps to mitigate the potential spread of COVID-19, students who develop symptoms will typically be required to isolate off-campus. Students should have a plan for alternate accommodations and transportation off campus, should this occur.
Page last updated December 03, 2020