TeachingMyWay prepares you for a career in teaching while you continue working in your current job.Request Information
The TeachingMyWay alternative certification program provides a way for individuals with bachelor’s degrees to acquire Texas teaching certification through a competency-based platform. Whether you are in the military, a professional considering a career change, or a parent ready to re-enter the workforce, TeachingMyWay can help you obtain the training and credentials you need to become an educator.
TeachingMyWay students must demonstrate their mastery of four areas of competency related to state-required standards:
- The Positive Classroom
- Instructional Planning and Development
- Growth and Development of Children and Adolescents
- Effective Literacy Instruction
The content for these competencies and the exams related to them have been designed by professors from the College of Education at the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor who understand current trends in education and also know how to help you succeed in your studies. Students must also successfully complete a series of on-line learning modules that are required for teaching certification in Texas, on these topics:
- Introduction to the Teaching Profession
- Mental Health
- Suicide Prevention
- Substance Abuse
Most candidates demonstrate mastery of all of these competencies and complete 30 clock hours of field experience by the end of their first time block. During their second time block, candidates must successfully complete a student teaching internships and take and pass the Texas Examination of Educator Standards for Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities.
The TeachingMyWay alternative teacher certification program is designed to be completed in two time blocks: competency mastery in the first semester, and student teaching in the second semester. Students may begin the program in January, May, or August. Since student teaching can only be done during the fall and spring time periods, the length of time it takes to complete the program can vary. Students who begin in June or August may be able to complete the program in as little as 7 months; those who begin in January will probably take a full year to complete the program.
You must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university, with an undergraduate GPA of 2.75. You will also need to provide evidence you have proficiency with technology and public speaking, either through previous college coursework or through on-the-job experience. Before you meet with a counselor to plan your program, you must take and pass the Texas Pre-Admission Content Test. While many tests are available on that site only the following tests are acceptable for admission into our program.
- Art, Grades EC-12
- Core Subjects EC-6
- Core Subjects 4-8
- English Language Arts and Reading, Grades 4-8
- English Language Arts and Reading, Grades 7-12
- English Language Arts and Reading with Social Studies, Grades 4-8
- History, Grades 7-12
- Languages Other than English (Spanish), Grades EC-12
- Life Science, Grades 7-12
- Mathematics, Grades 4-8
- Mathematics, Grades 7-12
- Mathematics with Science, Grades 4-8
- Music, Grades EC-12
- P.E., Grades EC-12
- Physical Science, Grades 6-12
- Science, Grades 4-8
- Science, Grades 7-12
- Social Studies, Grades 4-8
- Social Studies, Grades 7-12
- Special Education, Grades EC-12
- Speech, Grades 7-12
- Theatre, Grades EC-12
Support will be provided by the Educator Preparation Program at UMHB and by a success coach in the TeachingMyWay program.
Acceptance into the Educator Preparation Program is required prior to any TeachMyWay coursework. This involves a series of sequential steps:
- Take and pass a Texas Pre-Admission Content Test in the field of certification desired. Find more information about the PACT test.
- Provide the Certification Office with all transcripts for your bachelor’s degree, documenting a GPA of 2.75 or higher.
- Provide Certification Office with documentation of coursework or proficiency in public speaking and technology proficiency.
- Meet expectations in a video interview with the College of Education dean or associate dean.
- Complete a writing sample under the direction of the Certification Office.
- Working with the Certification Office, print, sign, scan and submit a series of required documents.
- Complete and submit the formal application for admission to the Educator Preparation Program.
- Upon issuance of an invitation to enter the Educator Preparation Program (extended via e-mail), submit written acceptance of the invitation. Once completed, this leads to acceptance into the UMHB MyWay online platform.
TeachingMyWay is affordable.
$6,500 for typical completion in two time blocks.*
- All resources are included in cost, so there are no textbook costs or lab fees.
- Additional costs include state fees for certification exams, a background check, certification application fees, and a supervisor fee for student teaching done more than 60 miles from Belton.
- We offer full or monthly payment plans to help you budget.
* Cost may be more for students who take longer to complete the program.
Student loans available for qualifying students.
What is competency based?
TeachingMyWay is designed around mastering the skills and knowledge of “competencies” that teachers need to be outstanding educators. Through assessments like papers, exams, and presentations, you will demonstrate your mastery of the competencies you will need to pass the Texas Examination of Educator Standards for Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities. Since all of the materials are available online 24/7, you choose the days and times when you want to study and when you want to take the assessments; you can move quickly on familiar topics and take more time on subjects that are more challenging for you.
Why choose UMHB?
Great reputation. The UMHB College of Education teacher preparation program boasts a very high passing rate on the state exams each year.
Success coaching. When you start the program, you’ll be assigned a success coach who will stay with you until you complete your degree. Phone calls with your coach will keep you connected. More than an academic advisor, your coach helps you set targets and offers personalized assistance as needed.
Personal attention. This isn’t just another online program. TeachingMyWay brings UMHB to you—where you are. If you need some extra help on certain subjects, our professors are here for you.