- Students will be able to identify key events that influenced the development of public health and health promotion.
- Students will be able to define public health and the role of public health in the prevention and management of infectious and chronic diseases.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of the importance of health education and promotion with regard to assessing community needs, program planning, intervention design, implementation, and evaluation of the effectiveness of these programs to address public health challenges.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of the individual, interpersonal, social, and environmental determinants that impact population health.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to engage in interprofessional collaboration to improve population health.
- Students will articulate an understanding of epidemiology and how biostatistics is used in the surveillance of public health status.
- Students will have the skills necessary to complete a literature search on a public health issue using credible, peer-reviewed academic sources.
- Students will articulate the importance of cultural competence and diversity in public health.
- Students will understand the importance of community engagement in promoting healthy behaviors.
- Students will acquire the ability to utilize research and evidence-based practice in community assessment, planning health promotion interventions, and health program evaluation.
- Students will demonstrate the skills necessary for effective communication and marketing of health promotion campaigns.
- Students will advocate for the profession of health education/promotion, and public health through leadership efforts.
- Students will exhibit the skills of a health education and public health professional, including being dedicated to improving local, national, and global health status.
- Students will be cognizant of the code of ethics for health educators and public health professionals, and always practice using the highest ethical standards.
Page last updated July 02, 2021